Total Pageviews

About Me

My photo
Retired Nurse..Artist/Blogger

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

"Ben Franklin" Piccard /Grumman PX-15

On my travels to photograph Bienalle public art I accidentally found this hidden gem. In front of the Maritime Museum in rather an obscure place stands "Ben Franklin" an Oceanographic Research Submersible. When I actually saw the size of the vessel in real life I found it difficult to imagine living in this tube for thirty days. The plaque reads: In 1969 the submersible made the worlds longest research dive when it drifted for thirty days in the Gulf Stream conducting scientific studies for the Naval Oceanographic Office and tests for NASA for the future Skylab Project to study human interactions within closed, confined quarters. The Gulf Stream Drift Mission added significantly to our knowledge of the Gulf Stream and the ocean in general.


-



Location:Vancouver, BC Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment